The Hobbyist List: Vol. 5 (Series to Binge Watch!)



"The Hobbyist List" series here on my blog is a complete list of activities that I've been throwing myself into, but this time we're only going to talk about some TV series.

I have all the free time for the past couple of months and I've been pretty much learning and trying to put most of it into my hobbies. I'm so in the zone that I don't even keep a list of it or even track how much stuff I've been reading or watching (I wasn't like that back then though). Since most of us are stuck indoors, one of the best thing to get into is binge watch some series. Here are a couple of TV series that I've seen recently and pretty much finished most of its episode quickly;

  • Girls - A comedy about twenty something women navigating their way through life in New York.

I have watched the series twice and probably one of my favorite. I love how raw and very realistic the situation of the characters are. It's well written and clever plus the official soundtrack is full of great music.


  • Mrs. America - Mrs. America tells the story of the movement to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), and the unexpected backlash led by a conservative woman named Phyllis Schlafly, aka "the sweetheart of the silent majority." Through the eyes of the women of the era -- both Schlafly and second wave feminists Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, Shirley Chisholm, Bella Abzug and Jill Ruckelshaus -- the series explores how one of the toughest battlegrounds in the culture wars of the 1970s helped give rise to the Moral Majority and forever shifted the political landscape.

Another series that I've seen twice. I recommend that everyone (not just women) to watch it, as there are loads of takeaway from the story especially that it's based on historical facts.


  • The Terror - Inspired by a true story, The Terror centers on the Royal Navy's perilous voyage into uncharted territory as the crew attempts to discover the Northwest Passage. Faced with treacherous conditions, limited resources, dwindling hope and fear of the unknown, the crew is pushed to the brink of extinction. Frozen, isolated and stuck at the end of the earth, The Terror highlights all that can go wrong when a group of men, desperate to survive, struggle not only with the elements, but with each other.
There isn't enough words to explain how good this series is. Great acting, script and etc. If you're a fan of unsolved mysteries and history about voyagers, this one is definitely for you. It's very atmospheric yet disturbing.


  • Fleabag - A hilarious and poignant window into the mind of a dry-witted, sexual, grief-riddled woman trying to make sense of the world.

It tackles sad and sensitive topic yet it's funny and easy to watch. Well written and acted. If you like the series Girls then you'll get hooked with this one too.


  • Modern Family - A mockumentary-style sitcom chronicling the unusual kinship of the extended Pritchett clan, a brood that includes patriarch Jay; his younger Latina wife, Gloria, and her son; Jay's daughter, Claire, and her family; and Jay's son, Mitchell, who lives with his partner, Cameron.
I love the dynamic of the family relationship that they have. Very funny and never fails to put me in a pick-me-up-mood.


  • Black Mirror - Black Mirror is an anthology series that taps into our collective unease with the modern world, with each stand-alone episode a sharp, suspenseful tale exploring themes of contemporary techno-paranoia. Without questioning it, technology has transformed all aspects of our lives; in every home; on every desk; in every palm - a plasma screen; a monitor; a Smartphone -- a Black Mirror reflecting our 21st Century existence back at us. The series is created and written by Charlie Brooker, and executive produced by Brooker and Annabel Jones.
Although the episodes in this series are very dark and difficult to watch, I've seen most of it a couple of times. Highly recommended to everyone. It made me realized how technology can mess us up and honestly it's very scary and make you question what's the future going to be like.


I hope you found anything that interests you from this list.
If you would like to read more of my "Hobbyist List" you can find all of it in (here)

How about you? What are the interesting things that has been keeping you busy lately?
I would also like to get any suggestions for books, articles online, series and movies.

*(photo credits to movie stills or posters and the surreal collage art)




Post a Comment

My Instagram

Designed By OddThemes | Distributed By Blogger Templates